[Perform-Talk] Performing Arts Division Elections 2020

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 22:19:54 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

The National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division will be
holding elections this year at our annual meeting taking place next
Thursday, July 16, at 1:00 PM ET.  Most of the details you will need
regarding elections can be found below.

First, in order to vote, you must be a member.  This means that you
should have your dues paid *before* our business meeting next
Thursday.  Please see the email sent by our vice president a few
moments ago for more information on becoming a member or renewing your
membership.  I still need to do this myself, so you're not alone if
you have not paid your dues for 2020 yet!

We will be attempting to hold elections over Zoom, but if that does
not work for us, we will have another option available for you.
Please be patient as we have never experienced virtual elections
before.  I promise you there will be plenty of time in our meeting for
everything we need to accomplish, including elections, and we are so
excited to have you join us!

The Performing Arts Division has worked hard this year, and we can't
wait to share with you our successes and hear your ideas for the
future.  A special thank you goes out to all of you who have
participated in our activities, shared our posts, and interacted with
us over the past year.  Our members make us a movement!

Now, elections.  Here's the 411...  All positions are up this year.
Here is our current board as it stands:

President-Julie McGinnity
Vice President-Katelyn MacIntyre
Secretary-Lizzy Muhammad-Park
Treasurer-LaKeisha Holmes
Board Position-Precious Perez
Board Position-Leslie Hamric
Board Position-Cristina Jones

I will ask that if you are interested in running for any of these
positions that you contact me, Katelyn, or email us at
nfbpad at gmail.com.  You may also post to this list.  It is generally
recommended to seek support when you are running for an office, but to
allow the elections run as smoothly as possible, it will be helpful if
we get a good sense of who might be running before-hand.  Please
understand that you may still nominate members from the floor as well.
These are simply our recommendations.

If you have a question about the responsibilities that will be
expected of a specific office, please contact us.   I will give a
short overview below to get you started.

President: facilitates board meetings, delegates responsibilities,
serves on all committees, and oversees the operations of the division
Vice President, does all of the above when the president is
unavailable, usually leads a committee and helps out with other
committees as needed
Secretary: takes notes and minutes for meetings, keeps the board
accountable through reminders and recording of action items, tracks
membership
Treasurer: keeps all accounting of the division's finances
Board Members: serve on and lead committees, work on special projects,
other duties as assigned

Finally, I would like to use this opportunity to let everyone know
that I will be stepping down this year as president.  My life is
leading me away from the performing arts as a career, and I believe it
would suit the division best to have a dedicated performer leading our
efforts.

I hope this email was helpful to you as you consider either running
for a position on our board and/or voting in our upcoming elections.
We can't wait to talk to many of you next week at our virtual meeting!

--
Julie A. McGinnity
MM Vocal Performance, 2015; President, National Federation of the