[Perform-Talk] performing Arts division elections 2020

Cristina Jones caldomo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 04:24:58 UTC 2020

Dear Federation family!
I hope you all are staying well during these stressful times, and I hope you've found the first official day of Convention 2020 a good one!
I am emailing you all to ask you for your support during the elections coming up for our division.
Currently, I am one of the board members for the Performing Arts Division. I was lucky enough to be elected last year at my first ever convention, and my first NFB anything! I've loved working with Julie, Katelyn, Lizzy, Keisha, and Lesley over the past year. I've specifically enjoyed helping to co-chair the Blindness In Entertainment Committee with Katelyn and working toward more equal opportunities for blind performers. I've specifically appreciated navigating working and conversing equally with the blind, as well as sighted performing communities to raise awareness and uplift fellow blind performers.
I'm an opera singer most of the time by trade, as well as a private voice and Braille music instructor. I have done a fair bit on screen, both behind, and in front of the camera for independent companies, as well as Netflix, ABC, and Disney.
Being a board member this past year has allowed me to raise awareness of NFB, as well as Federation ideals by incorporating them into some of the shows I've written and performed. My unique position involved with the Performing Arts Division, as well as the Hollywood industry has allowed me to reach out to some of my contacts in the industry and start conversations with them about furthering inclusion, and it's something I would dearly love to carry on doing.
Although I am currently a board member and would not at all mind carrying on in the same position, I would love to serve the Performing Arts Division next as the secretary. I've filled in for Lizzy when she hasn't been available, and I, as well as the rest of the board, have done a great deal in helping to better keep the files and emails currently in our care, as well as make it easier for future Federationists to navigate the archives in future. We've all taken turns in organizing and executing fund raising ventures, as well as panel discussions. I would love to carry on doing this work, as well as the work above, and then some.
Thank you very much for your consideration, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all at our meeting on Thursday!
Best:
Cristina Jones
+1(562) 308-7591
www.theblindsoprano.com