[Perform-Talk] Need Some Advice

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 22 12:42:46 UTC 2021

Hi Shelly. I suggest apply wherever you can. keep trying until you get someone who is receptive enough to at least give you a try. Whatever you do, don't give up. I can speak from personal experience because I tried to audition for two different orchestras before I found a third one that would take me. What I did When I auditions for the Elmhurst Sympwhen I audition for the Elmhurst Symphony was wa play my cello  first,   and then, i   answered questions from the conductor. I don't remember all of them but the two main questions I remember our: how do you know when to come in? How will you keep up with the orchestra? With the other two orchestras, the first conductor was not willing to even try and with the second orchestra, I got as far as the principal cellist who claimed this was just not going to work. All you can do is the best you can in an interview or audition and whatever happens after that is out of your hands. That's true for anyone, blind or cited. It always feels like we are blind performers have double the amount of pressure because not only do we have to know our stuff, but we also have to convince the person auditioning us that our blindness isn't going to get in the way. i'm sure others on here can relate. Feel free to email me privately if you would like to chat more. Good luck and remember, do not give up.
Leslie

Leslie Hamric
Cello and Braille Music Teacher
Board member of National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division
Graduate Council Member of Guiding Eyes for the Blind