[Perform-Talk] Need Some Advice

Shelly Kane shellykane323 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:17:29 UTC 2021

         Hi Group:

I don't post much here but I joined because I wanted to be in contact
with other blind performers.  I have been a dancer for many years.  At
the present time, my trainer and I talked about me possibly becoming a
teacher.  It would be more of a pop dance class so I wouldn't be
performing.  I would be teaching a dance workout with choreography to
each song.  I love my class and would love even more to teach.  My
question is how would I go about this?  Many years ago, I did apply to
be a teacher assistant at a dance studio and it was a nightmare.  When I
went for the interview, they acted like I wasn't even scheduled to come
in.  It was a very humiliating experience and I definitely don't want to
do that again.  We have 2 dance studios for the disabled and I thought
of starting there but how would you go about it?  My trainer told me to
reach out to other studios as well and she even thought community
education through the school would be a good thing.  I just don't want
to get the door slammed in my face again.  I was wondering what you
thought?  If this isn't the right place to post this, I apologize in
advance.

Shelly