[Perform-Talk] The Exciting World of Busking and Other Performances!

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 20 02:04:41 UTC 2023

Dear All,

                My life has taken an unexpected turn and, in doing so, I
have committed myself to doing more with my music. I have been performing
professionally since I was 16 years old and most of that time has been as a
solo entertainer. My stage name is what you see in my display name - Marion
& Martin. (I play a Martin acoustic guitar.) I use a phrase a reporter who
interviewed me once used to describe my music: Acoustic rock with a beach
flair!

                I recently began busking in Tampa, Florida. For those who
don't know what busking is, it is street performing.

When I say "recently", I mean like on January 28! Tampa has an annual
celebration of a mythical pirate invasion which draws more than 300,000
people. It is a nod to this celebration as to why our football team is
called Buccaneers! In one hour of performing, I made $91! My next busking
experience was last Thursday! Tampa has an entertainment district much like
the French Quarter of New Orleans called Ybor (pronounced "E-bore")City.
Ybor has more than 80 bars in about a 10 square block area and you can find
any style of music and lifestyle there. I didn't do quite as well then,
coming home with $31.50! I learned a few lessons from this experience and
want to share them with anyone who is busking or who is interested in
busking, too.

                Unsure of how I would be received or, more accurately, if I
was going to be told by law enforcement to move on, I kept it very simple.
All I took was my guitar and a tip jar. My first advice is to have an actual
tip jar. Lots of buskers use their instrument cases but one good breeze
could distribute your tips along the sidewalk. I bought a clear plastic food
container at Dollar Tree. Use a clear, uncolored container so people can see
the money in it. Put a rock or some other heavy object in the bottom to keep
the jar from blowing away, too! You can also put some flour or sand in a zip
lock baggie to make it bottom-heavy! I feed my tip jar with $10 - two
singles folded together, three singles folded together, and one $5.00 bill.
I face the $5.00 bill open and facing outward so it can be seen. Again, this
is a subtle subliminal message to your audience of the type of tip to give.
When I perform in bars, I always have my business cards near my tip jar and
make a few announcements about tipping the wait staff and the musician. One
of the funny ways I use to solicit tips is to say, "You may not know this
about me but I collect pictures of dead presidents, like Washington,
Lincoln, and Jackson. One of my favorite presidents is Benjamin franklin!"
(I have gotten several $100 tips in the past! I also say, "As you give a
tip, take a card!" One thing I have learned from my years of performing is
to put my cards near my tip jar. I have cut a hole in the top of the plastic
jar and have attached a business card holder to it with Velcro. Their hands
are inches from my business cards as they give me tips and they are more
likely to take one. The vice versa is true, as well! If they want a business
card, they are close to the tip jar and are more likely to drop some money
in as they grab a card!

                My business cards are also ways to give tips! On the back of
my business cards it says, "Please consider supporting my music by sending a
tip via Zelle to the phone number on this card." Many people do not carry
cash and the electronic format is a great way to facilitate their tipping.
In addition, tips sent by Zelle are more generous than the ones given in
person. Another little trick I use is to Braille my stage name on the cards.
This minor detail gives my cards a life of their own, as people will share
your card with others because of the uniqueness of Braille. One final word
on business cards: Underneath the above invitation to tip via Zelle is an
invitation to subscribe to my mailing list so they can find out where I will
be performing. Many venues want to know if we have a following and telling
them I have almost 200 people on my mailing list is an incentive to hire me!
My NFB chapter friends often come out to my gigs, as do some of my church
friends!

This has been a very long message and, if you are still reading this, I
appreciate your attention! My original idea was to share how I built a
busking cart but I will do that later this week! If you have any questions
or have some comments you would like to share about your performances,
please do so! We are here to support each other in all our endeavors! I look
forward to hearing from some of you!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala

Marion & Martin