[Perform-Talk] Question about affective music student accommodations

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 05:05:19 UTC 2023

Yes, if the school itself is able to transcribe music / theory textbooks for you it will save you lots of time and frustration. When I went to IU for undergrad the school purchased Dancing Dots software, which was very useful both for me to use in theory classes and for the DMA student they hired to create Braille scores for me. He took a few weeks to learn how to do it, but his work was absolutely fantastic and he could get things ready for me very, very quickly.

Another thing to consider is whether you need help with reserving practice space. Each school is different and many of them use systems such as Asimut for people to book practice time. However that wasn't the case when I was at Juilliard and most of the time people ended up walking around looking through practice room windows, which isn't possible as a blind person. In that situation it was important for me to find a solution, rather than spending hours every week knocking on doors to see if rooms were empty or constantly asking others for help.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone