[Perform-Talk] Teaching for the First Time

Linda Mentink lmentink7360 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 22:16:10 UTC 2023

Hi Elizabeth,

It's totally up to you whether you start teaching now or wait until you've graduated. If you teach, though, you DEFINITELY should charge. People will put more effort into learning if they're paying to be taught!!

The Hadley Reading Braille Music courses are available from NLS, so you could start there. Those courses are excellent, in my opinion, though they're not in UEB. I have no idea how different UEB music is. I'm currently a vocal music teacher of sighted students. I have taught piano, but do not anymore. I used the Bastien Music Through the Piano Series, which I had brailled, so I'm thinking they're still available. That course has a theory book for each year. The Glover series is popular, too, I think, though I never used it. When I was teaching piano, they were in the process of transcribing it.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance: lmentink7360 at gmail.com. I'm also willing to talk to you on the phone if that would help.

Blessings,

Linda