[Perform-Talk] Memorizing exercises

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 5 20:08:28 UTC 2024

Hey y'all. I've been counted the exact same thing. I in fact, I'm working on this Bruckner piece for the accompaniment is like this attitude. It's so repetitive and every now and then one or two notes changed here and there. And I have no choice but to go through bar by bar and add Bars on. One thing that I did which I actually found very very helpful is I recorded myself playing it on the cello a measure or two at a time. They were a lot of pauses in between but at least I could hear what the cello parts sounds like by itself. Because with this particular piece you've got the choir, the cello, the brass, and the rest of the orchestra and it even has Oregon. So it's hard to tell  Where that cello part is sometimes. Another thing that helps me is to play it on the piano. I can't read and play at the same time either because I need one hand to finger the cello with the other hand for the bow. It was really weird after I had Covid, I could not sing at all for a while and my sense of pitch went totally off. For example, I was teaching a braille music lesson one day and I thought the student had played a C-sharp minor chord when it was really a C minor chord. That Center pitches almost come back. And my singing voice has completely come back. Good luck with memorizing music and if anybody needs any assistance with braille music,   I'm just a phone call or an email away. I know there's a couple other folks on the list who also do braille music teaching.
Leslie and Omega

Leslie Hamric
Cello and Braille Music Teacher