[Pibe-division] Eating with a Fork-Emily G.

Gibbs, Emily egibbs at brazosportisd.net
Wed Jan 7 14:48:32 UTC 2009

Dear List,

Regarding the 11 year who doesn't know how to eat with a fork, I think
it was obvious to everyone that there is other things going on in this
situation.   I didn't mention this student's other issues because every
child I serve is so unique and complicated I often find that I need to
separate the issues in order to get a picture of what is really going
on.   If I don't mention any addition disabilities, you all are great in
giving me an idea of what I should expect from a typical blind child.
In this situation, I was more curious how I should handle it.   I KNOW
that my student should be eating with a fork, I KNOW that it's not
really my job to teach her how to do so, but I also KNOW that sometimes
I get roped into to doing things.   Here's how I handled it.

-I've put more responsibilities on the classroom teacher and aides.

            She is in a self-contained classroom and I've put a lot of
emphasis on independence.   How she should know where her materials are
and be able to retrieve and replace them on request as well as find her
way around the classroom and to the restroom and that, most importantly,
she was doing this last year with no problem.   She moved to the Middle
School this year and she is being coddled.

-I emailed her mother a selection of Future Reflections articles talking
about independence, manners and eating skills and told her to let me
know what else I could do for her.   I've received no response but I
will follow up again.

-I'm planning on going in at lunch one day next week and demonstrate for
the classroom teachers how they should insist that she uses utensils
while eating at school.   I think that just having the expectation that
she use them will be a nice first step.

Can you think of anything else I should do?

,Emily ,Gibbs

Emily L Gibbs M.Ed. NCLB

Teacher of Blind Students

586.489.6017