[Pibe-division] Options on intital IEP--and adviceonbeginninghigh need

Toni_Anderson at sbcss.k12.ca.us Toni_Anderson at sbcss.k12.ca.us
Wed Sep 9 22:43:19 UTC 2009

I used the terms "Newcomer class"  to signify a program in the
Ontario-Montclair School District in which students newly arrived from
non-English speaking programs were taught curriculum at the middle school
level.  I highly doubt that any student was placed in that program before
they were assessed.  For more particulars, you could contact
Ontario-Montclair Student Services (909) 459-2500.

There are likely few decent options before a student is assessed.  Home
school with a V I teacher (if you can get one) sounds logical, or if the kid
can take it--mainstream placement.  Your district will likely move faster if
some school is advocating for the student.  My bright Korean student was not
the one who was in a Newcomer class.

Toni Anderson
VI-SDC, Dona Merced Elem.
10333 Palo Alto Drive