[Pibe-division] An interesting brail instruction problem

Kristen J Sims ksims at opsb.net
Mon Nov 15 14:33:40 UTC 2010

I have this happen fairly often, as well. Depending on the parents, I will tell them about the chance for success in college and employment but usually the child in question is very young and the parents are just begining to deal with their child's vision loss. Braille is a bad sign to them. So, I try, way before the meeting, to develop a report with them. I meet them in a non-offical manner like at a coffee shop or McDonalds to listen to their concerns without every person from the special ed department there. If this is not possible, I will bring up braille as a safety net. Why not learn braille, then he will know it even if he doesn't need it. Then once the student begins to succeed, I can say "look at how fast he can read now." With every success the parents get less nervous.
   Our biggest buzz word is "dual media" even though we as teachers know that print is not an option it is sometimes the parents' last hope that their child will get better and they need to be allowed to mourn that loss in their own time while we get the child learning to read. The most important thing is for the parents to know that you have the student's best interest at heart.

Kristen J. SimsTeacher of Blind StudentsOnly the educated are free. Epictetus