[Pibe-division] Spatial Perceptual Challenges & Blindness

DrV pumpkinracer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:30:00 UTC 2011

*

Hi Mike,

The concept is briefly discussed in the chapter on "Problems With Spatial
Relationships" in the book Techniques Used by Blind Cane Travel Instructors:
A practical approach: Learning, Teaching, Believing.

A precise definition may be hard to pinpoint because spatial perception
challenges may vary from individual to individual and in all likelihood
represent a spectrum of spatial processing issues. I personally know at
least half a dozen bright & accomplished individuals who are sighted who
have spatial processing issues. I know of some blind individuals as well.

I have spoken to Roland Allen, Joanne Wilson & others about the concept.

I am looking to read up on & learn more about the topic & am hoping some of
the individuals on the listserv can share their insights & perhaps point me
to some academic or other functional resources that I may not be aware of.

Eric V
*