[Pibe-division] encouragement of tvis in new york state how received professional certification as teacher of the blind graduated from colllege after 2005

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:54:26 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I would  appreciate the response from fellow tvis who reside in new york state and have received their initial certification as teacher of the blind and visually impaired  in 2005 to present, and ultimately work as a professional certified  teacher of the blind and visually impaired. I would need encouragement of fellow certified teachers of the blind and visually impaired, who work in new York state, that graduated after 2004 and initially worked as an initial teacher of the blind and received professional certification as teacher of the blind,   to give me encouragement regarding either recertifying myself as a teacher of the blind and visually impaired or applying for a professional certificate as teacher of the blind and visually impaired in new York state. I have tried calling nonstop the New York state education department and have not been able to get to a human being. I also faxed the New York state education department a letter where I outlined my work experience as a special education teacher and as a teacher of the blind. I have not gotten a response from this department. I contacted one of the boces and was told to call tomorrow to speak with the certification officer. I do hope this organization will help me with my certification questions and assist me as to which certification to apply for. I need to have this certification situation, resolved prior to September 2012. I am unsure if I will be approved to teach my students that I provide vision education services to as an independent related service provider in New York City if this issue is not resolved.  How have  other tvis who were initially certified as teachers of the blind and visually impaired after 2005, met the professional requirement to have 3 years full time paid experience as classroom teacher as teacher of the blind and mentored experience? In this hard economic time, no public schools in New York City are hiring certified teachers of the blind and visually impaired. Neither are residential schools hiring teachers of the blind in New York City. If there is a job post at a residential school for the blind in New York City, certified teachers of the blind are hired only if the applicant meets specific criteria. I would appreciate suggestions of tvis who have worked after 2004, to understand how they have met the professional requirements to become a professional certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired. Please forgive me for sounding frustrated. Who knows if I will be working next year? My only regret will be not using my degree to benefit children who are blind and visually impaired. I enjoy working as a professional in this field a lot and cannot see myself going back into special education teaching children with learning disabilities. Besides, this field is so flooded with special education teachers in this area.

Sara Rooz

certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired

independent related service provider vision education services in new york city

P.s. I typed this message in microsoft word and spell checked it for errors. If there are any spelling errors, please forgive me.

Sara Rooz