[Pibe-division] can someone explain who is a certifiedTVI in NY the difference is between receiving a ceertificationas teacher of the blind and visually impaired or receiving certification as a teacher of the blind and partially sighted to apply for become certified reqce

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:47:31 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone:
I am a certified teahcer of blind and visuallyimpaired and have worked in this field durtfor the past two years. A former colleague, who i attended college, informed me that after teaching for a certain amount of years in the field I would need to take a course in Autism to apply for my peprofessional license which I can teach permanently. I emailed the graduate school I attended, I receivd the link to find about approved providers for the autism and the link for applying become a professional certified teacher of the blind. Yet, I understand that the new yorkstate education department issues license as a certified teacher of the blind and partially anda person with this level of certification applies for permamemt certification. Doeseanyone who teaches as a TVI in New York, understand the differences between receiving a license as a certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired and a certified teacher of the blind and partiallysighted. Both licenses are acceptable to new york scity to teach hre and I immagine in New York State. I would like to know why the new york state education website is so difficult to navigate to obtain the necessary information oneneeds to meet state requirements and due to the volume of applications being processed there is no customer reppresentative to spealk with and waiting time is long. I am extremely appreciative, for the person at my graduate school in New York who assited me in finding the critical iinformation and for a sighted friend for going the site and finding out the approved providers for taking the autism course and emailing the information to me as well as emailing to me how to apply for a professiional license. As to taking the autism college,I have both emailed and left a personal messages to the approved colleges I would consider taking this course at and have emailed an approved website that offers the autism course regarding its compability with assistive technology using a screen reader, Jaws for Windows and a braille display to take the course. When I was in graduate school, to become a certified TVI in NY, courses were online but had insrtructors who were very helpful to assist me to learn to navigate the platform that was being used which was the blackboard system. I enjoyed this model of study, since all course workwas presented on the computer and assigned readings were from texts published by american foundationfor the blind who offered these texts on disk or by going to websites and reading relevant articles. The only difficulty I had was reading articles in PDF form and I still find it difficult to read documents in pdf formats while on the internet.It is more ideal for me to open the document and save the document to my desktop and use the control page down to read each page.Anyhow, if any one canenlighten me in the differences in certification as a teacher fo the blind and visually im[paired and certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired in the state of new york state it would be greatly appreciated. Would be willing to forward my query to the aernet lest serv, since I am no longer a member of aer since I cannot affordtheir membership fee at this time.
Sincerely,
Sara Rooz TVI in NYC
Teacher of the blind and visually impaired in new york
Independent Related Service provider vision educational services in new york city