[Pibe-division] clarification about boces

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:48:07 UTC 2011

re: clarification about term boces    Camilla, tje information you provide to me was valuable. I would just like others to know on this list that when one becomes a certified teacher of the blind and visually imnpaired which is an initial certificatio one can teach with this certification for five years. AFterwards, one must complete certain requirements to become a professional certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired innew york state. After one receives the professional certificate at teacher of the blind and visually impaired one needs to take continuing education courses for the nest five years. Iach year one must complete 35 hourse of contuing educational corses and hjave amaassed by five years 175 hours of continuing eeducation coursework which aloows one to maintain the professional license as teacher of the blind and visually impaired I am having difficulty speaking with any customer representative by the ny state education department to discuss my current ssituation and haave already contacted the Boces and left a detailed message for the certification individual. I am hoping to clarify my concerns soon and apply for whatever license I need to still teach as a teacher of the blind and visually impaired. Ir is important to be aware thtprior to 2004, when one receeived certification as eacher of the bisually impaired in new york state, the license waas initial certification as teacher of the blind and partially sighted. After one had taught for a certain years one received a permanent certification as teacher of the blind and partially sighted. No more of such a license since 2004. Now a person who graduates froman approved university program to vecome a certified teacher of the bvisually impaired in new york state first receives an initial lcertificationas techer of the blind and visually impaired which last for five year. They must complete the requirements for applying for profesional certification as teacher of the blind and visually impaired. Since I am unsure if attchments can be sent on this list I will append the requirements issued by the ny state education department to meet in order to be aan initial certgified teacher of the blind and visually impaired and professional requiremebts that must be fulfilled prprior to applying to be aprofessional certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired. It also athe reuqirements if one needs a reissuance of an ititial certification s teacher of te blnd and visually impaired in new york state. I  am happy that shared this information with the liest.
Sara Rooz
Certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired
independent related service rovider
Just a not one of the requirements to b e aprofessional certification as a certified tacher of the blind requires that a person have 3 years of full time paid teaching position as a classroo, teacher and have someone mentor the person. Due to these economic times, no school district in new york city is hiring new teachers i my fiefield and neither are resedential schools for the blind in new york city. This is due to bucgetr cuts the depaarment of education is required o make in new york city. I just wonder how other people in my situation are meeting this requirement in new york state. Please respond!
Sara Rooz
Reissuance of initial certificate

·      Held an Initial Certificate Expired Less Than 2 Years

·      Workshop - Child Abuse Identification

·      Workshop - School Violence Intervention and Prevention

·      Fingerprint Clearance

Requirements for initial certificate

·         Completion of a NYS Registered Program - Blind and Visually Impaired

·      Institutional Recommendation - Blind and Visually Impaired

·      New York State Teacher Certification Exam - Liberal Arts & Science Test (LAST)

·      New York State Teacher Certification Exam - Elementary Assessment of Teaching Skills (ATS-W)

·      Content Specialty Test (CST) - Blind And Visually Impaired

·      Fingerprint Clearance

Requirements for professional certificate

Completion of a NYS Registered Program - Blind and Visually Impaired

·      Institutional Recommendation - Blind and Visually Impaired

·      New York State Teacher Certification Exam - Liberal Arts & Science Test (LAST)

·      New York State Teacher Certification Exam - Elementary Assessment of Teaching Skills (ATS-W)

·      Content Specialty Test (CST) - Blind And Visually Impaired

·      Paid, full-time Classroom Teaching experience - 3 Yrs

·      Mentored Experience

·      Fingerprint Clearance

·      Citizenship Status - INS Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship

What does it mean "paid- full-time classroom teaching experience - 3 years"

Classroom teaching experience includes experience earned in a public or approved nonpublic preschool or elementary, middle, or secondary school. Claimed experience may be in any grade or subject. Experience that is not full time may be credited on a prorated basis. Teaching assistant experience is not applicable to this requirement.

Note:

- Teachers working as substitutes in numerous districts may wish to have each district verify the experience by providing a short letter on district letterhead.