[Pibe-division] chec klist to measure independent living skills for studentt who is vi and additional disabilities

Kristen J Sims ksims at opsb.net
Mon May 9 13:25:42 UTC 2011

The Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired has a wealth of information on the subject you are dealing with. The words you are looking for in your situation is expanded core curriculum. Here is the address to daily living skills. There are not really any checklists but there are a list of skill areas to test and steps to teach those skills. http://www.tsbvi.edu/independent-living-skills/126-general
You may also want to check out the site for information on blind students with multiple impairments. You are right to stay away from the Oregon. For one the student is 19 and even if she/he fell in most of the needs areas the lessons are designed to work with typically developing infants and toddlers. Insite is closer but is still based on very young children. There is a kit from APH that includes an assesment for nonverbal students with moderate to severe multiple disabilities. It has you moniter the students arousal states, plan goals based on student interaction, and build on those skills.
Good Luck!

Kristen J. SimsTeacher of Blind StudentsOnly the educated are free. Epictetus