[Pibe-division] how convince parentws students visually impaired with additional disabilities necessity to get updated eye report

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:02:27 UTC 2011

Hi Colleagues:

I am blind myself and am a certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired in New York City. I teach students who are blind or visually impaired with additional disabilities. Last year, the local CSE requested an updated eye report from each student. The majority of students parents or guardians have complied and I have updated eye reports on the majority of my  students. However, two students parents are not making an effort to get their child to a low vision clinic or ophthalmologist for the updated eye reports. I have spoken with one parent who states that it's difficult to travel to any appointment with the child and that the parent has a newborn baby and family to care for. The other parent is difficult to reach. I have asked the classroom teacher and the nurse to assist me in explaining the necessity to both parents about getting an updated eye report that states the student's acuity level and preferably the visual diagnosis. How do I gofrom here? When the time comes to revise the Iep and write an annual progress report for the student's annual review I  can mention in the progress report to the Cse that parents have refused to get an updated eye report and let the cse decidewhether or not  to grant these students services in vision education next year. Please assist me in dealing with difficult parents . Sara Rooz

Certified Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired in New York

Independent Related Service Provider Vision Education Services in New York City