[Pibe-division] ffw: getting job, keepin ga job

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 19:18:49 UTC 2011

denise, you outlined all the necessary skills to get and keep any type of job. The use of assistive technology is crucial to be employed today.

In addition,

if someone is a potential blind job seeker reading and writing Braille is also so crucial. You can write important deadlines for a particular job in Braille which helps a blind employee be organized.

 It is crucial that besides knowing how to use talking software a blind person when possible can benefit from a Braille display to use with the computer.

 I have found that by using the combination of a screen reader and a Braille display connected to my computer I have greater independence in reading, writing and editing professional documents. For 13 years I taught as a special education teacher and taught students with learning disabilities. I typed all my reports on a computer and edited my work prior to handing my reports. This made a very favorable impression on my supervisor who was sighted. This person told me by a meeting to discuss each of my student's progress that I was the only teacher who handed in documents type written.

Now as a certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired I use technology to write individualized education plans for all my students and annual progress reports about each student's progress. The assistance I may need is to ensure that if a form is in a table and contains tabs, upon inputting my information I will have a sighted person format the document for me prior to printing out my final copy which is submitted to the local CSE.

 I agree about being upfront about your blindness to a potential employer. I have done this and have always been open about questions posed to me by my potential employer.

 Because of Braille skills and my assistive technology skills I have been employed as a special education teacher for 13 years. I have also taught as a certified teacher of the blind for the last two years and will soon begin to teach again in this capacity.

Sara Rooz

Certified Teacher of the Blind and Visually Impaired in New York

Independent Related Service Provider Vision Education Services in New York City