[Pibe-division] pwanted peoples advice to take autism workshop have asked for registration materials to be sent in alternate format rather than pdf

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Oct 27 20:01:03 UTC 2011

Sara,

There is not a simple answer to this question.  Many of us prefer not to use Adobe's Acrobat Reader to
read documents by preference, but in general it is accessible.  It probably doesn't hold water for us to
categorically say PDF documents are not accessible any more.  Having said that, there are certain kinds
of PDF documents that are not accessible, particularly those that contain scanned page images.  Such
documents won't read at all using the Acrobat Reader with a screen reader.  Even here, though, if you
have K-1000 or Open Book or other optical character recognition program, you can probably turn the
documents into something you can read more quickly than asking for it in an alternative format.  If you
have an option like this, then you would have to decide whether you want to raise the accessibility
issue or not but the law is probably being violated.

There are PDF forms that, if designed correctly, can be filled out by a blind person with a screen
reader using Acrobat Reader.  However, when most places provide PDF forms, they simply are giving you a
copy of a form that they intend for you to print out and then complete.  This really isn't accessible.

In the end, you will have to decide what is worth spending the time and effort to change and what you
need to do to just move forward.  They should not be allowed to violate the law, but we don't know
enough for certain that they have violated laws at this point.  It will depend on the way the documents
were created and whether they took the time to make the forms accessible.  They may have no problem with
providing you with Word alternatives, but if they don't, you will have to weigh this all out.  You
should get somewhat familiar with the Adobe Acrobat Reader, though, as it will work all right with many
documents, and it provides a way for you to save them as text files in many cases.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:35:53 -0400, Sara Rooz wrote:

>Hi educators  and blind consumers:

>I am a certified teacher of the blind and visually impaired and am blind myself. My state education
department, new York state education department is requiring all certified teachers of the blind and
visually impaired to take an autism workshop. I have contacted a provider who is willing to email me the
handouts and I will make sure that these handouts are transcribed into Braille, so I can effectively
participate in the workshop. However, the registration material is only accessible in a pdf format. I
have emailed the provider requesting to send me the registration material to sign up for this workshop
in either Microsoft word or text file. I would like to know from other blind teachers or blind consumers
if my request is a reasonalable one. Please feel free to comment on my question.