[Pibe-division] Science Events at Schools for the Blind

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Thu Apr 26 21:25:29 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

    Here's an idea for those of you who have children enrolled in or who
teach at schools
for the blind. Like other schools these institutions participate in athletic
competitions along with music and scouting events. I was pleased to learn
that the annual music festival that occurred each year at a particular
school for the blind has been given new life and is once again an annual
activity involving a number of such schools on the east coast. I'm not sure
if similar events happen in other parts of the country these days.

    STEM subjects are directly related to a students academic studies. If
schools for the blind can get their student bodies and staff together for
events like those mentioned above why not encourage them to partner with
PIBE,
NOPBC and the NFB Jernigan Institute to hold an annual STEM-related event
similar to the music festival or other activities. Since Science and Math
are core subjects I'd think they would have less difficulty securing funding
for such an activity.

    One idea would be an annual Science fair. Each school would choose a
science project to work on during the year. The schools would gather at a
particular location for a weekend or so to exhibit their project, discuss
the science behind what they did, and participate in other STEM-related
activities and events and have the chance to meet successful blind roll
models. There could be activities for the parents of these kids during these
events as well.

        There could be events for primary and secondary school-age children
and their parents. Had such an activity been available when I attended Oak
Hill and Perkins I know I would have been a regular participant. Here's
hoping our PIBE Division and NOPBC Affiliates will promote such an activity
among schools for
the blind around the country and an annual "STEM Fest" will become a yearly
event along with the other interscholastic activities these schools offer to
their students.

Peter Donahue

Peter Donahue

 “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper.”
Isaiah 54:17

 “While for our princes they prepare
In caverns deep a burning snare,
He shot from heaven a piercing ray,