[Pibe-division] How to make a Food Chain, Food Pyramid, Family Tree with talking software

Dr. Denise M. Robinson dmehlenbacher at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 19:16:17 UTC 2012

As sighted students go about making fancy graphics for their Food Chain, Food Pyramid, Family Tree, or other diagrams, clicking away with their
mouse, adding graphics and colors, our blind students can join in using
their talking software. They just need to learn a few tricks.
No longer do our blind students have to sit aside and have a sighted
person doing most of the work on a graphic or worse, the student doing
something entirely different and then their lack of understanding
deepens. If our students do not learn how to do the same things, gain
the same skills, whether they can see it or not, how are they going to
compete for jobs and the highest honors? Our students can do the
same--their knowledge base just needs to grow.
The reminder came up as a distressed student asked me, "How am I going
to do this?" Within minutes the student was enjoying the same features
to create an elaborate diagram, using the talking software to guide her. She could use shortcut keys to immediately implement a design or change a configuration to finish the assignment on time. As soon as she was
done, she emailed it off to her teacher. The teacher used track changes to correct the work and email it back, in which her talking software read
all the remarks. A beautiful A to go with the beautiful diagram.
Audio/Visual lessons are now available to help teach your students:

Food Chain-make a creative graphic using talking software and word-audio/visual

Family Tree using talking software, graphics in Word-audio/visual lesson

Create a Food Pyramid with talking software and Word-audio/visual lesson

       Denise

Denise M. Robinson, TVI, Ph.D.
CEO, TechVision
Virtual Instructor for blind/low vision