[Pibe-division] Music Competition

Michele Boutin kickem at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 20 00:06:12 UTC 2012

Hello Colleagues,
I would appreciate some guidance on what the standards should be for a blind student in a music competition. I have two high school students who will be competing in March and both read braille music.

They will be in a large group competition.One student will be "sight" reading at Level 3 and the other will be  sight reading at Level 4. Each choir/chorus is handed a piece of music that they have never seen before.They are given 3 minutes to look at the piece.Then they are given 2 minutes for the director to give them explanations.Then they start singing immediately.
I have several questions about this process:
One, how does the music usually get brailled? Could it be sent to me to be brailled with the strict understanding that I will not share it with the teacher or the students?  My second question is regarding the "sight" reading? What would be a fair procedure for this? Should my students get double time on their own? 10 minutes? 20 minutes?Last, how would the student read and sing an unknown piece (words and music) with only a few minutes to look it over and keep pace with the rest of the choir?
Thank you for your time.

Michele Boutin, TBVI
Manchester, NH