[Pibe-division] {Disarmed} Opportunity to comment on accessibility to mathematics

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Wed Jun 27 16:08:42 UTC 2012

fYI":
Any questions/comments, please contact the person listed below. I’m just passing this on.
Regards,
Heather Field

Please be forewarned that the deadline is July 1 (this Sunday). But, this
should not take a lot of your time.

Below is an opportunity to be heard on the topic of math accessibility. The
deadline for responses is July 1 (this Sunday).

>>There's a relatively painless way you can comment to the National Science
>>Foundation and the Department of Education about the need for
>>accessibility to mathematics in education. so be sure to submit something
this
>>week.
>>
>>There's a very brief survey which the NSF and Dept. of Ed. are asking
>>people to fill out concerning a new jointly-funded K-16 Mathematics
>>Education Initiative. I think it is important that the feds hear about
>>the issues students with disabilities face when learning mathematics, and
>>in particular the problems created by inaccessible mathematics
>>instructional content and assessments.
>>
>>There's only two items they ask for:
>>(1) Explain the priority issue, challenge, or opportunity; provide a
>>brief rationale for its importance; and comment on the implications it
>>has for the teaching and learning of mathematics at the K-16 level.
>>(2) Provide the evidence or research base that supports the priority
>>issue, challenge, or opportunity you have identified, including
>>references, if appropriate.
>>
>>Here's a direct link to the survey:
>>http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/k_16_initiative
>>
>>Here's a link to the Dear Colleague letter giving more background on the
>>initiative: http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2012/nsf12080/nsf12080.jsp
>>
>>Finally, if you would like a few references for items to support the need
>>for accessible mathematics, you could take a look at this page:
>>http://metrc.uoregon.edu/index.php/related-questions/122-how-can-mathematical-text-be-made-accessible-
to-students-with-print-disabilities.html

>>Even if you only have a few minutes to submit a couple of sentences, that
>>would be better than silence. Perhaps if the feds hear from enough people
>>they may set aside some of the $60 million they mention to working on the
>>problem.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>--Steve Noble
>>mailto:steve.noble%40louisville.edu
>>502-969-3088

Your Friend
Zahid

 Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use.