[Pibe-division] self em[ployed tvi

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 17:51:47 UTC 2012

Hi Shelley:
YOu are absolutely correct. Tvis do teach student woo are blind and visually impaired as well students with additional disabilities who are blind and visually impaired. Like you, the majority of my caseload are students with additional disabilities who are nonberbal, cannot walk and have developmental disabilities. In addition, a few of my students are also medical fragile. All my students receive other related services from ot, pt, speech therapist etc and it is indeed beneficial to collaborate with the other related service providers that teach this population. My aapologies for not includfing this group of students when discussing the expanded core curiculum . Students with additional disabilities who are blind and visually impaired must be taught skills in the expandedd core curriculum. I have one student that I've been teaching independent living skills although modification is needed when teaching a particular skill. This student is visually impaired and has developmental disabilities, is nonverbal and is nonambulatory. The majority of my visually impaired students I teach skills within visual efficiency. With regard to my glind students with additional disabilities, I etach prebraille concepts to those students and usually need to assist each blind student to tactilely explore a tactile illustration as I read aloud a book in braille. I also hav a few students who are  cortical visually impaired. Two students canonly see large itesems and aother student has cvi and has autism whom I've successfully taught the student has to request two items appropriately using the picture exchange communication system whichhas  a pictureof an item the student needs to look at, hand the picture to me and can receive the item. I've labeled each picture in braille to ensure that I present the correct picture to my student.
Sara Rooz