[Pibe-division] paraprofessionals

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sat Oct 20 12:48:08 UTC 2012

This information has been very helpful.  I received several responses
from both organizations I posted to.  In summary, most TVIs believe
only the TVI should provide braille instruction.  Some people believe
it is fine for the paras to provide support training if they know
braille very well and are familiar with all of the rules.  If the para
assists in the braille learning they should work on worksheets,
observe and guide the student as he/she creates work for the TVI and
other similar areas.  The TVI should introduce all new braille
characters and all related education.

I am presenting this morning so I really appreciate all of this
feedback because my opinion is different.  I do not believe a para
should be involved in teaching students braille but I think this is a
more reasonable approach than mine so plan to share it at the
training.