[Pibe-division] teaching braille to multiple students at the same time

Sara Rooz sararooz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 02:30:57 UTC 2012

Hi Krystal:
It seems in my humble opinion, that you are dealing with a unique situation. However, you may want to consider embossing Braille ready files in uncontracted Braille and contracted Braille available via the Texas school for the blind and visually impaired. You need to go to the website: www.tsbvi.edu you must type in the search box Braille books. When you get the proper result, you  can download a list of the available books in alphabetical sequence provided in a Microsoft Word Document. You may also download a Microsoft excel file that lists each available  bookeach author of each book, the  reading grade level, and the particular file you need to download in uncontracted Braille and contracted Braille. In order to be able to download the books from this school you must email the webmaster requesting a user  name and  pass word. If you like I can email you offlist the above information. The books range from kindergarten reading to high school.

 Another idea is to consider going to public domain sites and finding books that are on your students grade level. For those students, who read uncontracted Braille you would need to copy the particular cbook or some case a particular chapter of a desired book into a Microsoft word document and translate the file into uncontracted Braille. This is important, since these books don't have the Braille capital sign dot six or any of the various punctuation marks in the literary Braille code. For the students who can read contracted Braille, you can copy the same chapter or book and translate into contracted Braille. However, understand that all the words from the print file were be converted into contracted Braille. You may have to introduce the contractions contained in the particular book or chapter.

 Some public domain sites to consider are: project Gutenberg ; www.readbookonline.net and www.classicreader.com

I hope my ideas at least give you a starting point from which you can expand on.
Sara Rooz
Blind certified teacher of  the blind and visually impaired in new York city
email: sararooz at gmail.com