[Pibe-division] braille translation question converting computertext into br brf format when using dbt

Anita Adkins aadkins at atlanticbb.net
Mon Sep 10 14:31:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

You will need to do a lot of formatting in order to code the book in Duxbury. However, after translating, bring up the save as dialogue box. Under files of type, there is a choice that says something like formatted braille, USA encoding *.brf. This is probably what you want to select. I down arrowed to reach it. I am using DTB 11. So the important thing to listen for is the BRF part should you have a different version. I will also suggest that you check on bookshare.org since they have many books already in the BRF format. I know students get free accounts and that many schools have accounts with them. If so, what I do when brailling is to open the file in WordPad, select all, copy it, and then paste it in a Braille document in Duxbury. I do it this way because if I just open it in Duxbury, it claims it cannot all fit on the page or something like that. Good luck. Anita