[Pibe-division] professional opinions requested

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Thu Mar 21 23:59:16 UTC 2013

I am working with a student in the 7th grade.  He has very recently
completed learning the braille code and is still a very slow reader.  He is
very bright and has great tactile awareness.  What he needs now is lots and
lots of practice.  The Minnesota Braille Reading assessment was completed
in February and he scored normal to below normal in all areas.  Our state
will be giving the standardized tests in April and the school district has
requested the braille version for him.  Since he is a very new braille
reader should he take the language arts portion of the assessment or should
we hold off one more year?  In this state he must read the passage
independently.  The questions can be read to him.  I appreciate all
thoughts.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053