[Pibe-division] TVI Training

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Feb 18 18:50:31 UTC 2014

Good afternoon Allie.  I know the head of the entire program is or was
Gabe Capperman.  He is totally blind.  He was my algebra teacher many
many moons ago.  He is nearing retirement but I know he believes
people who are blind are capable of working as TVIs.

When I had my first TVI job one of the parents was thrilled her
daughter would have a blind TVI.  Another parent moved to a different
school district and wanted me to continue to work with her daughter so
badly that she advocated to have the school districts work together to
provide my transportation.  That young lady has a developmental delay
but has made significant progress because I am a blind roll model for
her.  When I began working with me she told me she couldn't do
something because she was blind.  It has taken a few years but last
week I told someone was letting her get by with something because she
was blind and she didn't like that at all.

I think there are great TVIs who are sighted and, probably not so good
ones who are blind.  I agree that children need strong positive roll
models who have successful careers.

One more thing and then I will get off my soap box.  Many TVIs don't
believe their students are capable of being a TVI because of the lack
of vision.  I am very concerned about the message that sends to our
students.  I have even seen that discussion on a group for
professionals in blindness.  I have also been asked by other blindness
professionals if I think blind people can be O&M instructors.  I get
very indignant about that question.  If I were a TVI I would teach O&M
in a different method because of my life experiences.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053