[Pibe-division] More on the Braille Challenge

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Thu Jan 30 14:04:59 UTC 2014

Since this was referenced briefly in another thread, I thought I'd provide more information. This is an annual competition in braille reading and writing. It can be administered by individual teachers of the blind and visually impaired,, and many states have a regional event for multiple students. Between December and March, students can take the tests which are produced by the Braille Institute, which is the creator and primary source of the Braille Challenge.

There are five categories from Apprentice to Varsity, with increasing difficulty of tests. From the Sophomore (fifth and sixth grade level) on up, students do reading comprehension, speed and accuracy, (brailing from recorded dictation) charts and graphs, and proofreading. Those at the apprentice and Freshman level (first and second grade and third and fourth respectively) get the reading comprehension proofreading and spelling. The top sixty students in the contest (both students in the U.S. and Canada compete) are invited to the finals which take place in Los Angeles during the month of June.

We have done this in Wisconsin for the past eleven years, and it has become very popular. Those interested can download past contests from the website
www.braillechallenge.org<http://www.braillechallenge.org>
If you haven't taken a look at this, please do. I know that our numbers are growing each year.

David Hyde, Professional Development Coordinator
Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1700 W. State Street
Janesville WI  53546
608-758-6152 (office)
608-751-0960 (cell)