[Pibe-division] AER

Robert Pardue robertpardue at opsb.net
Mon Mar 17 13:50:38 UTC 2014

As a follow up on the use of human guide and the NRMA (National Reading Media Assessment), as a Federationist, but also as an observant person, people are people. There are federationists who view human guide with disdain because it is being dependent on another person. But, as one my blind friends told me, if it is a choice between navigating through a crowded restaurant "independently" and wetting hisself, he would choose the sighted guide. It is a tool, but it is only a tool if you have the travel skills to make the choice between using one of many different methods of travel.

As for the NRMA, the law states that the default learning medium for a student with a visual impairment is braille UNLESS deemed inappropriate by the IEP team. This test is a research-based media assessment that has been standardized to determine if a reader should use braille, print, or both.  There is nothing wrong with being a print or dual reader as long as that is what is truly appropriate. As a Federationist Teacher of Blind Students, I use visual and tactile representations to accompany the braille for my students with residual vision for which that helps them understand the concepts we are covering.  I do not use this method nor do I recommend this method but on an individualized basis. As one teacher on this thread stated, braille and non-visual skills education has to be tailored to the individual student. This is not a one size fits all field of education. Hope this clarifies some points.

R. Martin Pardue

OPSB Vision Services

"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence.''

Anon.