[Pibe-division] Teaching Braille to Student with Limited Hand Use

Smith, Pauline L PSmith4 at dmc.org
Mon Mar 17 19:22:42 UTC 2014

Good Afternoon,

I have been working with a young lady who cannot use her left hand and has limited use of her right hand.  She has CP and uses a wheelchair.  She lost her sight at the age of 15.  How do you teach someone with limited hand use Braille?  I was considering use the one-handed Perkins brailler for writing, but I'm not sure she has the hand strength nor the coordination for putting paper into the machine.  I have using a VoiceNote in one hand mode so far.  Any additional suggestions would be most ehlpful.

Pauline Smith

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message (including any attachments) and notify the originator that you received the message in error. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Tenet Healthcare Corporation.