[Pibe-division] SAT Prep Class district support

Eric Guillory via Pibe-division pibe-division at nfbnet.org
Mon May 19 01:54:13 UTC 2014

Hi Vejas,

This is certainly an interesting inquiry. Are you taking this class during the summer? Splitting hairs in terms of technicalities, the district is probably correct that you have chosen to take a class outside the bounds of what they are obliged to provide. It is, however, unfortunate that they are approaching it from this mindset because taking this class will seemingly make you that much more prepared to take the ACT.

Sadly, this hearkens back to the "Cadillac of services" argument postulated by districts nationwide. Essentially, the law says that districts much provide FAPE-a free and appropriate public education for all students. However, the law does not say that said services need to be the highest quality-merely appropriate. Districts site this continually.

I welcome the opinions and observations of others. I'm not sure there's much you can do about this since it is not a district-provided service. Perhaps California rehabilitation services would be willing to assist? Below, please find information for a gentleman who might also be able to help. Depending on the timeframe and funding, perhaps he can contract for your materials to be brailled.

Jonn Paris-Salb
 Administrator
 Clearinghouse for Specialized Media and Translation
 1430 N Street Ste 3207
 Sacramento, CA 95814
 Phone: (916) 323-2202
 Fax: (916) 323-9732
 Email:
jparissalb at cde.ca.gov

All the best to you!

EG

Eric Guillory, Director of Youth Services
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166 (extension 3009)
Fax: 318-251-0109
Skype: brllovingdad

"Together, we are changing what it means to be blind."