[Pibe-division] Compilation of Responses re: Smarter Balanced Assessment Testing

DrV via Pibe-division pibe-division at nfbnet.org
Mon May 19 21:46:34 UTC 2014

*Hi Everyone,*

*Attached is a compilation of the answers re: **Smarter Balanced Assessment
Testing **posted to me directly or to this &/or the other 2 list-servs
noted below. *

*Sources:*

   - *Braille-N-Teach (BNT) is an e-mail service, hosted by the
   Clearinghouse for Specialized Materials and Translations (CSMT) within the
   California Dept of Education, for educators working with students who have
   low vision or who are blind.*
   - *Professionals in Blindness Education Division Listserv*
   - *Blind Kid Mailing List (for parents of blind children)*

*Responders include blindness/VI professionals, administrators, & parents.
In nearly all cases, I removed the identifiers (the name of the individual
who posted the response). Most of the text is direct & unaltered; in a few
identifiers within the text were removed.*

*The posts are in no particular order.*

*There is 1 additional attachment – the PDF “Smarter Balanced Accessibility
for Blind Students” was put together by a VI Teacher here in California,
Jessica McDowell, who nicely highlights many points related to testing
blind students in the new format & importantly provides a nice example of
how to document the various specific issues that are encountered so that
needed detailed feedback can be provided & shared not only with the test
designers, but importantly with other professionals working with blind
students so that they can work on logistics & better prepared themselves &
their students for the testing process in the future. She kindly allowed me
to share the document.*

*My personal editorial:*

*I think you will find the postings interesting & that in toto they provide
a clear flavor for depth of the issues surrounding the new testing process
that will need to be addressed.*

*While I am hopeful that this year’s pilot process will help address the
issues that are discovered with respect to the actual test & the local
logistical challenges each student will be faced with, it is disheartening
in that many students & districts seem to be opting for, or encouraging, an
“opt-out” this round, because without input & local logistical practice,
not much is likely to change & many of the same issues, concerns &
challenges will remain next year.*

*Sincerely, *

*Eric Vasiliauskas (dad)*