[Pibe-division] iOS * Items of Interest

Eric Guillory eguillory at louisianacenter.org
Wed Sep 17 21:46:18 UTC 2014

Hi All,

So, unless you've been living under a rock for the past week, you know that Apple released iOS 8 today. Thanks to Twitter, I've come across the following links which may prove helpful to you and/or your students, friends, etc. The first three are specific to blind and low vision users and the fourth is one written for the general populous. With regard to Braille: It seems that there are some significant improvements to the interactions of iDevices and refreshable Braille displays. Regrettably, these may be tempered by slower Braille input-which is indeed something we can only hope Apple will fix in a subsequent release.

Happy updating!

What's New in Accessibility for Blind, Low Vision, and Deaf-Blind Users | National Federation of the Blind
https://nfb.org/blog/atblog/what%E2%80%99s-new-accessibility-blindlow-vision-and-deaf-blind-users

Braille Moves Forward in iOS 8 | National Federation of the Blind
https://nfb.org/blog/atblog/braille-moves-forward-ios-8

The Accessibility Bugs in iOS 8: From Serious To Minor | AppleVis
http://www.applevis.com/blog/advocacy-apple-braille-ios-news/accessibility-bugs-ios-8-serious-minor

The best iOS 8 features you may not know about | The Verge
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/17/6237271/best-ios-8-features-you-may-not-know-about

Eric Guillory, Director of Youth Services
Louisiana Center for the Blind
101 South Trenton Street
Ruston, LA 71270
Voice: 800-234-4166 (extension 3009)
Fax: 318-251-0109
Skype: brllovingdad

"Together, we are changing what it means to be blind."