[Pibe-division] Students' Braille Reading Preferences?

Allison Hilliker AllisonH at benetech.org
Wed Dec 2 17:13:53 UTC 2015

Thanks folks for your responses.

Just some follow-up questions...

What are students finding is the best way to read Braille on an iPad? Do they have a favorite app that they use, or are they simply opening a BRF file using a program like Google Drive or Dropbox. How is Braille access in mainstream book apps like iBooks and Kindle? Do those work well, or are aaccessibility-specific book apps better?

I have  a similar question for computers. When a student connects a Braille display to a computer, whether it is through a note-taker or through a stand-alone display, are they typically using standard formats like MS Word or HTML that is displaying in Braille, or are they preferring to open BRF files?

I realize that the most common answer likely is that it depends on what the class assignment is, but my question is more about preferences. I realize that most blind students do whatever it takes to access their texts.

Amanda mentioned Chromebooks. I know folks can't install JAWS on them, but I thought Chromebooks had a screen reader on them already. Are blind kids using that? I think it's called ChromeVox, but I haven't used it personally. Does the Chromebook's screen reader allow for Braille display access?

Just more food for thought. Please keep the responses coming.

Thanks,
Allison