[Pibe-division] music Braille instruction question

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 23:35:19 UTC 2015

By the Dancing Dots materials do you mean the course called “An Introduction to Music for the Blind Student?” This is a fairly thorough course but it is not intended for a student to teach themselves. It would be at an appropriate level to have a TVI or music teacher use it to teach the student. I have used it with a 6th grade student. We did not go through the entire course but used several parts. The link is:
http://www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/currdet.htm

The book “How to Read Braille Music” by Betty Krolick is good in conjunction with the Primer of Braille Music. I find these two compliment each other and they are what I used to teach myself braille music as an adult. These titles are available from a variety of sources, including  BARD.

This page from the National Resource Center for Blind Musicians has lots of good info on teaching, learning, producing braille music:
http://www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/currdet.htm

I hope some of this helps.

-Greg