[Pibe-division] Student that tears everything

Amanda Gough amanda.gough at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 12 20:18:53 UTC 2016

Hi Conchita,

Does your student understand the purpose of braille - That it carries a message?  What sort of role modelling is she getting? Have you tried using hand-under-hand (hers on yours) while you read her a story (even if you are actually reading from the print, run your fingers over the braille using good technique).

What does she like doing?  Treasure hunts? Family corner? I’d just make braille everywhere, like on the toy stove, above the coat hooks, by all the classroom resources…

You could try other fine tactile activities – I like filling a container with uncooked rice or beans and hiding small pieces of candy in it for the student to find (and then eat as the reward); or threading small beads of different shapes onto a string to make a necklace; creating things with wiki-stix, play-dough, etc.

Teach the braille symbols using an egg box, muffin pan or marble block/swing cell. Let her organise the balls, and you copy (and tell her what she’s made), then get her to imitate what you make, starting with the first letter of her first name.

I have a student who picks off braille labels and picks at piaf images.  We made her a ‘picking board’ – a piece of cardboard with lots of little things glued to it, that she is allowed to pick off, if she feels the urge to pick! She gets rewarded at the end of the day if certain ‘precious’ things are still intact.

All the best, and let us know how you get on J

Amanda

(Resource Teacher: Vision, Whanganui, New Zealand)