[Pibe-division] Interesting job at the Maryland School

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Mon Mar 14 13:34:29 UTC 2016

Several things in this thread make me comment. First, a driver's license may be required if, and only if, driving is an essential duty of the job. Does the TVI routinely transport students as a regular part of the job? For that matter, a driver can be hired, and run through the same background check as the teacher. If the driver passes then they can provide any required transport service.
Secondly, I would be surprised if the school does not already have drivers available. If not, one can be hired as a reasonable accomodati8on.
Third, requiring a license to operate a motor vehicle is a violation of the school's non-discrimination policy. This means that if you want the job, apply. Ignore the requirement, or jot down your ID number.
I work for the Wisconsin Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired, with which is the Wisconsin School for the Blind and Visually Impaired. I routinely travel around the state. The department pays a driver.
We have itinerant teachers who work for local districts. The districts pay drivers if the teacher needs to routinely travel among schools.
Bottom line. The school should know better than to have that in their job qualifications.