[Quietcars] Let us reason together

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Thu Oct 30 15:08:54 UTC 2008

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your most thoughtful post.  You raise a number of relevant
points and provide a good argument for the key fob approach you are
developing.  As a long time researcher in technology for the blind as well
as a physicist by training I appreciate looking at all sides of an issue and
then coming to the best and most logical solution available.

In looking at the whole quiet car issue Corbb O'Connor also raised a good
point about what information a key fob system or any wireless system for
that matter would offer.  I think the best way to suggest you examine the
alternative is to consider what information you personally would desire to
have if you could not see.  Have you tried, for example, standing on a busy
street corner wearing sleep shades and wearing good ear plugs and then
imagining only having a wireless solution providing you information
concerning car movements?  I am not trying to be provocative nor narrow
minded.  Rather I am asking you to consider that blind people have a vast
collective experiential database of knowledge about travel.  We know that we
need more information than what a wireless information system would provide
today.  For all intents and purposes as blind people we want to have as much
of the same information available to us about automobile movements as
sighted people receive.

No matter what the statistics show, no matter what the industry experts have
concluded blind people know what is necessary to keep us safe on the
streets.  A simple warning about the proximity of a quiet car will not do
the job.  Also, like you we carry items in our hands as well as holding to a
white cane or the harness of a guide dog.  This would mean that a wireless
system would have to provide audible cues further masking the sounds of at
least some automotive traffic sounds.

The resistance to your present approach by blind persons comes not from
stubbornness nor does it come from emotion.  Rather it comes from
experience.

The NHTSA has no statistical data because its numbers are at least two and
often more than three years old.  Also, no one has really been specifically
asking for quiet car accident involvement until recently.

The Society of Automotive Engineers is attempting to examine the quiet car
issue including looking at much of the information you mentioned in your
email.  Any way the SAE or you look at it there isn't much real scientific
data.  Mean time blind people do have knowledge of what works for us and
why.  We have been pushing for audible cues on cars because no one has yet
proposed an alternative solution which would give us the same kind of
information you receive when you are a pedestrian.  I think it is
appropriate to say that if you propose a solution which gives us the
information about automobile movements which you enjoy and which is
available to us today then we would welcome it with open arms.

I agree with you that we should "reason together".  I do not know you and
thus do not know how much experience you have concerning the travel safety
needs and travel techniques of blind people.  For example, have you learned
to walk safely under sleep shades?  If not, you might consider spending some
time at one of the NFB centers to learn how to travel as a blind person.
This is not an easy task and it would take a real time commitment on your
part.

Let me close by saying there is a good reason why we as blind people say
that Braille is a real alternative to print for reading and writing.
Likewise, our hearing is the alternative we use for sight.  Braille and
hearing are not substitutes but rather we recognize that they are
alternatives.  With Braille I have a real language for expression.  With
hearing I have a true method of knowing about my environment and traveling
within it safely.  With hearing do I get every piece of information you
receive as a sighted person?  Of course not.  However, I believe I can show
that I also receive information through hearing which sight does not provide
or at least which sighted people have not learned to observe.

Quiet cars jeopardize my information data stream.  Providing a substitute to
automotive noise, a substitute which will not give me the same information
available today, is not a good solution for me and other blind travelers.

I hope you will take to heart these observations.  Look at the problem from
the point of view of blind people.  Look at the information flow we need and
then offer a total alternative solution and I know you will receive proper
consideration in return.  We all wish to work together to solve this serious
issue.  For our part, the rhetoric to which you object is appropriate and
comes none too soon.  We already know how unsafe it is to travel without
sound cues.  We have learned this through experience over time.  We have
created travel techniques based on what we have learned.

Thanks for your consideration.  I would be happy to talk with you or
correspond further if you wish.  I always enjoy interacting with people who
have a real concern over solving real problems.  You clearly want to bring
about a solution and I for one welcome your participation.

Best,

Michael Hingson,
 NSA
President,
The Michael Hingson Group
84 Bahama Reef
Novato, CA 94949
Phone Direct number (415) 827-4084
Fax number (415) 883-6220
Mobile/Pager (888) 965-9191
Email
info at michaelhingson.com
 <
mailto:
info at michaelhingson.com>
For information on Michael's speaking topics, his availability, and his
consulting services on Diversity and Access Technology for blind persons
please
visit <
http://www.michaelhingson.com>
For information on Guide Dogs for the Blind please visit <
http://www.guidedogs.com>