[Quietcars] 2009 Washington Seminar Materials

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 30 02:46:10 UTC 2009

Hi Chuck,

> From: ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
> To: quietcars at nfbnet.org
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:54:03 -0800
> Subject: Re: [Quietcars] 2009 Washington Seminar Materials
>
> I'm not sure why there is any negative concerns about legislation governing
> quiet cars. This legislation impacts safety for all, not just the blind.
> This legislation is based on safety factors and what is best for all.

Do you have either Federal or State accident data showing hybrid electrics are more dangerous than ordinary gas cars?

> . . . It is
> no different than mandatory seat belt laws, increased penalties for drunk
> drivers or environmental emission standards.

Those safety systems have accident statistics that show they are effective.  Where are actual accident records showing hybrids are more dangerous than ordinary gas cars?

. . .
> Chuck Krugman, M.S.W., Paralegal

As a 'paralegal', you are no doubt familar with 'habius corpus' which means "where are the bodies?" It is legal concept that means you don't hold someone responsible if there is no evidence of a crime. Given there are 4,700 pedestrian deaths every year, show us the data in the NHTSA accident records of a problem.

Last summer, we looked through the Fatality Accident Recording System and between 2002-2006 (the years available as of last summer,) we could not find a single blind pedestrian death by hybrid. At the June 23 hearing, no one presented a single case of a blind fatality by hybrid. Yet we know from the accident records that about 5 blind pedestrians die each year ... no record of any hybrid involvement.

Last June, the only blind injury reported at the June 23 hearing was a back-over accident by a Prius. But back-over accidents are being addressed by the Cameron Gulbransen Kids and Cars Safety Act of 2007 that was signed into law in February 2008. In fact we brought an NHTSA report to the June 23 hearing that addressed the issue of back-over accidents.

The Chip Chidester report we submitted documented one of year backover accidents in which 50 kids were backed over and 25 died. Usually, the driver didn't stop until the body showed up in front of the car. One kid was a two year backed over and killed by her mother. Another was a kid backed-over by a SUV that had its 'object warning system' turned off. So when someone reports their foot was run over by backing up Prius, it underlines the reason why the Cameron Gulbransen Kids and Cars Safety Act was long over due. BTW, the Prius issues a beep when it is put in reverse yet that sound didn't prevent the feet being run over ... did it.

Regardless, we look forward to a public debate that brings out the facts and data. We welcome a fact based discussion.

Bob Wilson
625k Inc.