[Quietcars] Regression testing 2010 Prius

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 26 02:51:19 UTC 2009

> . . . Until the wonderful
> future day when cars are smart enough to avoid accidents, . . .

That future for the Prius began with a small step on May 2009 when the first 2010 Prius were sold. But due to the option pricing, only the top of the line, $30,000+ Prius can get the accident avoidance system option. This means the buyer also has to pay for fancy wheels, leather interiors, GPS, backup camera, automatic parking, and a bunch of things that return marginal value for the price.

I would prefer to see every hybrid and electric car have a pedestrian sensitive, accident avoidance system as standard equipment. This would make these vehicles measurably safer for all accidents. Toyota already has the technology but we need economies of scale to drive down the cost and the same requirement for all hybrids and electric vehicles. BTW, I have no problem if the accident avoidance system 'growles' the horn when a pedestrian is detected within range or activates the horn it an accident is pending. After all, alterting the other party is well within the range and function of a horn.

Bob Wilson