[Quietcars] Preliminary 2007 Accident Analysis

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Mon May 18 11:14:23 UTC 2009

Michael, Once again I'm going out on a limb here and just wanted to make a
statement.

I don't think that ANYONE is ever denying the fact that hybrid vehicles pose
problems for those who are walking on bicycles, or possibly driving cars.
What the problem is is two fold.

First, we have to come up with realistic noise making devices for the cars
to allert all pedestrians or drivers of four, two wheeled or other vehicles,
and then, organizations who are comprised of persons who belong to them have
to stop playing the pity party game in thinking that they are the only ones
effected or inconvenienced by the hybrid.

I do not think that Bob's summary in any way said that Toyota didn't care
about changing things around so tat an accident couldn't be had.  But what
they said was that they have made their vehicles safer, in case someone was
hit.  And, secondly of the accidents noted, two especially were unrelated to
noiseless travel, as the persons walked out on to a highway.

As I repeatedly will say, we bear some responsibility as pedestrians too
keep up with the technology and interact with it as best we can until a
suitable solution is found.

I am an advocate for dog guide access and safety, and the proactive handling
that we all should entertain.  I am also a car nut, and I try and understand
things from the automotive standpoint so that I and my guides can safely
travel and avoid accidents. I wish others would do the same on this and
other blindness lists instead of constantly  whining about things and
blaming everyone but themselves for not being properly informed.  That's the
easy part.  The hard part is working together to find a solution, and this
is what I commend the ACB, NFB and several of our legislators I trying to
accomplish.

I would bet that if we took a survey on list of those who've interacted with
hybrid vehicles, we'd find the numbers would be less than 60 percent,  You
can't know if it's a hybrid unless someone tells you, you're aware of the
types of vehicles which are hybrid, or you're just lucky.  Even first
responders to accidents most times are unaware of which vehicles are hybrids
and they have sight.  Badging and notations n the vehicle certainly will
allert those first responders to such, but unless these vehicles make some
kind of noise and give off an audible clue, we won't be able to know.

And this is why I'm such a big advocate of mobility instructors' teaching
proper cane etiquette, a guide dog handler being made aware through a school
or field rep of which training techniques are available, or, if none of the
above seem plausible, that people contact friends however possible to see if
they can bring a hybrid by to allow one to familiarize one with a vehicle.