[Quietcars] Auto Pilot coming to cars soon?

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 9 04:38:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

This is the first year that the top of the line Prius has offered:

(1) accident avoidance radar-camera - tightens seat belt and applies brakes if an accident is about to happen
(2) lane following - keeps the car from wandering across the lanes or off the roadway (on to walkways)
(3) automatic cruise control - paces to the vehicle in front and speeds up or slows down the car to maintain a safe following distance

The problem is this system is available only on the top of the line Prius, not all versions. So far, there has been only one report of a false positive from a bridge expansion joint on up slope of an approaching bridge deck. A very brief incident, it was over about the time the driver realized what was happening and never posed a risk.

At the Detroit Auto Show in January, I saw the Denso lane following system that also recognizes pedestrians and reads traffic signs including speed limits. As the car proceeded through the narrow, Japanese streets, the pedestrians walking towards the projected path were outlined.

What these systems do is augment the driver with a never tired, never intoxicated, and faster-than-human electronic eyes and radar. They not only protect pedestrians but also the car. It is a win-win approach that ultimately works for gas as well as hybrid electric vehicles.

Bob Wilson