[Quietcars] Auto Pilot coming to cars soon?

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Sun Nov 8 19:22:15 UTC 2009

It's obvious from that article that we're a long way from having reliable
auto mobiles, those which can go from place to place without any
intervention beyond the initial programming. Although computers do what they
do exceedingly well, they're totally lacking in judgment; they can't tell a
false alarm from the real thing and continue blithely along making errors
until their program corrects itself or is corrected.
In theory, if a computer could reliably prevent a car from touching any
other object, either pedestrian, automotive, or stationary, we would all be
better off. Until that fine day comes, I'm with you. Quiet cars aren't the
only travel hazards we need to consider.