[Quietcars] Cars that shut off and start back up.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Tue Dec 28 23:15:50 UTC 2010

This is something that I'd posted to a guide dog list of Seeing eye
handlers, as someone had posted about the fact that some cars will join the
quieter fleet, meaning that they will turn off and again restart once the
accelerator pedal is pressed after being idle for a time., this is only my
opinion, so if anyone has any concrete evidence of such or has other
information that disputes anything I'm saying and can show me through
evidence that our passed quiet car legislation will be enacted sooner,
please share.  This is not meant to bash any one organization or throw water
on the quiet car fire, but to be truthful, in any and all ways regarding
this issue.

Mike T

Jenn, this is apparently what is proposed, and the fact is that this
legislation that was passed in the house that was begun primarily by the NFB
and then the ACB which collaborated to lobby for it, will NOT be enacted for
a couple of years, at the very least, and there isn't a thing that we can do
to get it through beforehand.

There is testing that needs to be done, a solution to which noises or noise
a car or vehicle should make and where the noise emitted device or devices
should be placed And an agreement that each car manufacturer has to come on
board with is not yet set in stone.  Scary, but true, and this legislation
doesn't just apply to the blind for their safety, but to every consumer,
whether the be sighted, mobile without any impairment, etc.  Just something
to think about.

"I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself...but I think
I have
a right to resent, to object to, libelous statements about my dog."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;