[Quietcars] VW Jetta goes electric and more from MotorWeek.org.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Thu Jul 1 17:56:49 UTC 2010

I thought that this would put a bug in the quiet car bonnet of those who are
interested in such news.

Mike T

The New Jetta/Electric Car Testing
Jessica Choksey
Volkswagen aims to be a much larger player in America and the first step of
how they
plan to do that has just been revealed.
This is the 2011 VW Jetta
. Based on the well received NCC Concept, the all-new Jetta is larger, and
some $2,000
dollars less than the current car. Designed for American rather than German
tastes,
it boasts the best rear legroom in the compact class. Engine options include
a 2.0-liter
turbodiesel . The Mexican-made Jetta will eventually be joined by a
replacement for
the Passat to be built in Tennessee.
With the future of electric cars nearly here, manufacturers are increasingly
using
the public to field test their powertrain designs, making sure problems are
solved
before full production begins.
Field testing prototypes also provides insight on how to market the
production car,
which will be vital for pure electric cars due to their limited range.
Social networking is proving to be an excellent way for car companies to
gain feedback,
as well as allow drivers to interact.
General Motors and Honda started the current field testing trend with their
hydrogen
concepts. Honda with its FCX Clarity, and GM with its Project Driveway
program.
Mini Cooper is currently field testing some 500 Mini-E electrics and, parent
BMW
will follow next year with their 1-Series Active E electric.
Meanwhile, Toyota is launching a test fleet of Prius Plug-In Hybrids to
gauge public
acceptance.
And come this fall, Smart USA will field test a fleet of 250 ForTwo ED
microcar electrics
around the U.S.
Notably not using field testing are the all-electric Nissan Leaf, and the
extended
range electric Chevrolet Volt. Both debut this fall, but availability will
ramp up
slowly so lessons learned can be quickly applied to the assembly line.
The main goal of field testing is to get the design for new powertrain
concepts right
the first time. And, that's it for this week's MotorNews.

"I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself...but I think
I have
a right to resent, to object to, libelous statements about my dog."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;