[Quietcars] Train incidents involving blind pe4rsons.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Thu Jul 22 11:30:34 UTC 2010

There were questions raised about blind people who may have been impacted by
train accidents, whether they were aboard the trains or walking near trains
while the trains entered the stations, traveled through train crossings,
etc.  Here's what I found specific to providing some answers to those people
who've been writing in on this thread, I've spent considerable time since
the discussion has begun trying t find out any stats n the incidents
involving blind persons and train mishaps.  However, I am unable to
specifically pull up data at the moment.,  I would suggest that if one is
interested in such information, that they might contact state agencies who
offer independent travel skill training to their constituents independent
mobility trainers or professionals who train guide dogs at our various guide
dog institutes about these things.  I would expect that some information can
be gleamed from those sources.

In any event, when navigating areas around trains and aboard them, please
ensure that you take all precautions t prevent injury to you, anyone with
whom you travel and your guide dog, if you should utilize one.

However, I did find that an accident had occurred in Michigan involved a
passenger train and a vehicle where five young people were killed.
Interestingly, as you'll read, two members of the NFB who were bound for the
Detroit convention, were aboard this train and were not injured.  They
stated that the train was kept comfortable as the engine in the rear of the
train was kept running to facilitate air conditioning being piped through
the cars and to keep the bathrooms and electricity flowing on board, and
that their dogs and  they were safe and kept comfortable during the time on
which they remained aboard the train.

Mike T

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/10/train-bound-for-chicago-h_n_229339.
html

"I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself...but I think
I have
a right to resent, to object to, libelous statements about my dog."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;