[Quietcars] Blind challenge?

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 11:55:35 UTC 2010

Hi Michael,
I came across this Prius owner's description of dynamic radar cruise control (DRCC) and lane keep assist (LKA). Sad to say, these have only been available in the top of the line Prius, which adds $10,000 to the base price. It is the one option that should be in all Prius and across all models, hybrid or not. The description follows:
BEGIN QUOTE
"I am totally addicted to DRCC. I have found on all types of roads, at speeds above 30 MPH that the following distances and reactoins of the DRCC are great. Of course if I were behind a "pulse and glide" driver, my DRCC would be turned off!

As far as safety goes, I am convinced that the millisecond response time of the DRCC has an edge on me. the DRCC is watching the road in front of me 100% of the time. I'm sometimes distracted for a second or two. Two computers watching the road and working the brakes is way better than one. Especially if that one is me.

DRCC and LKA feel like the first (lawyer-restricted) step toward auto auto-pilot."
END QUOTE
I saw the Denso electronics lane keep assist demonstration at the Detroit Auto Show and it not only found the lanes but it identified pedestrians and read road signs. It was very impressive and the way to go. I don't know if they will ever be good enough for autonomous vehicles, they are a technical tour de force.
On a side item, we are working with some owners of these high end vehicles to see if the radar is sensitive enough to detect and react to pedestrian sized objects. If we get any results, I look forward to sharing. It is a shame the NFB, Toyota and Denso can't meet to discuss the prospects for this technology as it relates to pedestrian safety.
Bob Wilson