[Quietcars] Hybrid car update from Motorweek.org

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Thu Jul 7 14:29:58 UTC 2011

Not necessarily guide dog related, but a topic which I'm sure all of us who
handle our dogs and walk about with other mobility assist devices or people
will be interested in.  Our respective dog guide schools do what they can to
equip us in working with our dogs; those who use a cane or travel without
the assistance of a dog guide might wish to continually avail themselves of
updates as conditions warrant.

Mike T in NJ
Electric & Hybrid Updates
Yolanda Vazquez
In a surprise announcement, Ford has abandoned plans to build and sell the
compact,
7-passenger C-Max minivan in the United States. But, that doesn't mean Ford
is walking
away from small people movers.
Ford said that today's American buyers still want more fuel-efficient
vehicles, so
they'll offer a completely different model: a tall, five-passenger,
five-door hatchback,
still to be called
C-Max
. It will be available as a hybrid and as the C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid.
Ford is following the Toyota Prius model of providing dedicated hybrid
vehicles that
are distinct from gas powered models.
Ford's announcement was on the heels of General Motors going national with
its 2012
Chevrolet Volt. You can now order a Volt for delivery in all 50 states.
For 2012 the Volt's base price is reduced by $1,000. In-Dash navigation is
now an
option, OnStar's turn-by-turn navigation is also included, and Keyless entry
is a
new standard.
With a big increase in production planned, time will only tell if the Chevy
Volt
strikes the heartland as the best way to turn family cars green.
Right now, the pure electric Nissan Leaf has an edge in sales over the
hybrid Volt.
In June, Nissan plans to deliver 1,500 Leafs to U.S. customers, a record for
an EV
so far.
Based on orders and hand-raisers, Nissan is projecting sales of the Leaf to
exceed
10,000 units by the end of the year.
Whoever comes out on top, one thing's for sure, electric drive cars are here
and
taking the country by storm.
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/motornews.shtml
Stupidity isn't a handicap...Park elsewhere!!!

Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;
michael.townsend54 at gmail.com